Friday, July 15, 2016

an invitation for poems about fireflies.


since these critters don't stay around for too long in summertime, i wanted to bring them to the forefront of poetry when they're relevant in the air of night sky.




this is an invitation to write your own poem about fireflies. please email your submissions to poetrywithjenniferhetrick@yahoo.com with your name, title of your poem, and the state where you live. i'll share the submitted poetry as i receive it and will also update it to the facebook page in each instance.

here is one of my own poems, to start this fun little endeavor of mid-july.



*


firefly song
by jennifer hetrick

green night glitter,
pulsing quick streams
of that neon color

through mid-summer
sky, the trailing route
of the firefly as it

lets its wings rise up
to catch air's energy
when black paints

what’s above us
until dawn stirs
the horizon. we

hear your lyrics
as you move, watch
the grace of your

life flicker and dim,
brighten and quiet,
give soul to ours.



[ newly submitted poetry, hurrah. ]



Poem By Evelyn Frederick of Pennsylvania

The summer air is filled with little flickering lights. 
It's the end of my beautiful day. 

The tiny, delicate insects brighten my way home. They are my silent notice, my evening curfew. 

The magnificent, ephemeral fireflies dance in the moonlit sky

As I watch from my bedroom window and say Good Night, my friends. 


*


Millennial Nightlife 
By Sam Traten of Pennsylvania

Do you sing with your light,
do it at night, because it
feels right to be seen when
you've no voice to be heard?

It's you boys who fly, flashing
high, while young ladies, flightless,
wait and semaphore below for
attention, wanting a mate or

to deceive males of another species
who she'll proceed to eat. It's a
roll of the die in the nighttime sky
if you're a guy on fire and on the fly.

Your drama is entertainment for us,
loafing in lawn chairs, chatting in
our own version of flashing, with wit and
filled with the joy of watching your show.


*


Illuminated* 
By Babara Tucker of Pennsylvania

Some believe that all things excepting my kind
Are one with God, have been created as they should be
Perfect and unique, giving glory to God simply by being
Their forms, their unique character make them Holy

Precisely what He wants them to be

Illuminating the night, Holy firefly, I am in awe of your
The beauty and warmth of your perfect body, reminding me
Of what might be for me and my kind if it were truly wanted


* in praise of Thomas Merton


*


Fireflies
By Evelyn Aurand of Pennsylvania

Empty jar
Dots of light
Fireflies flit
Spark the night.
Remove the lid
To set them free
To pierce dark with
flight symmetry.


*


Firefly (a prose poem)
By Joe Swider of Pennsylvania

Now that I'm getting on in years, I have thoughts of times past and the wonders of life as seen only through a child's eyes. Running through fields and trying to catch these little stars that must have fallen from heaven. So many so beautiful and so full of mystery. I can close my eyes and still see them, Thousands of them. I really didn't think stars could fly, but they can. The wonder stays with me to this day. Even now, I see them, and one day soon, they will come for me and take me into their world of flying stars and love. I still see my flying miracles through my child's eyes and feel them with my child's soul and heart. Some poems you read, and others you see flying through the night.


*


HEART LIGHT
By Ginny McNamara of Pennsylvania

I lie on my back
Cocooned in my sleeping bag.
No light in the campground
Anywhere.

Quiet, like the
Darkness, is absolute.
Cradled in nothingness,
Sleep is sound.

Until something comes to wake me.

No noise comes before.
No dream disturbs.
Without consulting me,
My eyes pop open

To see a light, or sprite, hovering overhead,

Reaching through the
Nylon ceiling with
Bursts of radiance
That douse the darkness.

Heart races, mind searches—
Can an angel be this small? 
Has an Alien come to call?
I don’t dare move.

But then I must, because I sense a second light.

Propped on one elbow
I twist my torso to see
This one pulse in harmony,
echoing the first.

Asking.  Answering.  Consenting.  Dancing.

Until the two lights join
Together, taking their leave,
Flying to a future
Beyond my view.

Darkness returns,
Except in my heart, now
Glowing with every beat.
Like a firefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment