Thursday, May 12, 2016

an animals poems workshop with all fourth graders at tilden elementary center.

recently studying animals in science and poetry as a genre in english served all of the fourth graders at tilden elementary center in the hamburg area school district well. 

this is because during my visit to their school on tuesday, we practiced tying together the subjects of animals and poetry, one class at a time. the day involved more than 100 students sharing their own stories of memories about scenes involving animals, followed by minutes spent allowing their craft to take shape on the page, one freshly written poem after another.

alliteration, excerpts, metaphors, similes, stanzas, couplets, line breaks, and neologism were some of the topics we went over in the form of examples across sample poems which students read in between story-sharing.

fur kids usually known as pets but also bears, elephants, hummingbirds, squirrels, cows, wild turkeys, deer, and red-bearded dragons were a part of exciting talks throughout the day. a hamster running off of a bed at high speed made for a story kicking up some good laughs, too, since we learned that it wasn't badly hurt, in the end.

































mrs. sherry fuhrmann is the teacher who helped to organize this animal poems workshop day on behalf of all fourth grade teachers and students. she is also the name behind nostalgia-hugging bottled mint tea known as pure wild tea based in berks county. and many thanks to the hamburg-tilden PTO for helping this especially fun, poetry-filled day to be possible.

several students worked up the well-deserved confidence to read their poems in front of their classmates, too, and in some cases, i read the poem-words for these young authors so others would still hear the new language throwings they wrote.

some of the many poems written by these fourth graders are below.

*

The Dog
By Shannon C.

My little dog jumped on the couch, but someone
was sitting there, and he fell off. So he tried again,
but he kept hitting the floor. To me, it looked
like an alligator trying to climb a ladder.
Or an elephant trying to climb a truck.

*

Dead Bird
By Dylan B.

I saw a dead bird on my porch.
I picked it up and showed
it to my mom, and she said, Get
it out of my house, Dylan!

*

Mayo Cat
By Chris B.

One early morning, a cat
came out of Bus 4's engine.
To my surprise, it had
a mayo jar on its head.
I almost fell backwards.

*

My Cat
By Cadence J.

My cat Moby
can jump 3 feet.

She eats hot dogs
and ramen noodles.

She loves to talk
to birds from an open window.

*

The Cow
By Kayden S.

The cow wanted to run free,
but the wires blocked the cow in.
The cow was so tired of trying to

get out. One day, the cow bursted
out of the pen and broke the wires,
and the cow was so happy that the
cow ran far away.

*

Wrench-Throwing Monkey
By Michael W.

The monkey got out all the
time and threw and threw
wrenches at my pappy.

Every day, it would 
happen, and I was not
even thought of at the
time.

(The last line here means Michael was not born yet and learned this story years later. =)

*

My Bull
By Selena H.

My bull was rubbing his
head back and forth on
the dirt pile. It was
hilarious, back-forth,
up-down, all around,
to keep the flies
off his back. At the beginning,
his head was black. At 
the end, it was brown. 
He looked like he was
in an explosion of 
dirt.

*

Hamster
By Braden T.

My hamster jumped off my bed and hit the
floor, trying to climb back up the bed. It kept falling
and falling, trying to get back up again, kind of like
a kangaroo hopping up and down.

*

Bear Fight
By Alex B.

A bear was feeding
in the trough. Another
came and chased it.
The one was limping.

*

Poor Squirrel (sadface)
By Briana E.

A long time ago,
on a Sunday morning,
my grandma went to the auction.
A squirrel climbed into her engine [of her car].
But when she tried to start her engine,
it didn't work. 

She called a garage to see what happened,
and they pulled out the squirrel's body.

*

The Big Fat Cat!
By Bradley S.

Once, my fat cat
was trying to jump
from my couch to the
kitchen table. But
he failed. He thought
he was soaring in the
air, but he flopped
on the ground. I
thought he was hurt,
but he kept trying
over and over again.

*

The Deer
By Danielle H.

I was driving home from
practice, and I saw a

deer. It ran right in front of
the car, into the marsh.

When we drove by, it ran
into the woods,

and that's when we saw it--
a baby deer in the trees.

*

African Elephant
By LeeAnn M.

A day of warmth
on an African Elephant

spraying itself with
mud, running down

the savannah land.

*

Dancing Cow
By Ava P.

One day, me
and my mom
were driving

by a farm.
We saw a
black cow
jumping up-down,

and he looked
like he was
dancing. And

the guy in front
of us started
taking a video
of the cow.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful display of photos and uninhibited cogency!
    Jennifer, you are an excellent inspiration for the youngsters.

    Please continue,
    Alice

    ReplyDelete